21 Day Fix

Saturday, June 9, 2012

My first 5K

I finished my first 5K and I think I am now an addict. I came home to try and find more races! It was a fun run but harder than I thought.

The first mile wasn't to bad. I saw the 1 mile marker and thought, ok I am still running, I haven't walked and my heart rate is decent. I decided since it was a turn around course I wouldn't even allow myself the option to walk until I hit that point. I now understand why 60 degrees is the ideal running temperature. Running in 80 degree temps is just to much! 

I hit the turn around marker and ran for another minute or so. By now it was really hot and my heart rate let me know. I was at 194 (normal for me) but I needed to get back down to 185 so I walked for a minute. I managed to keep going and hit the 2nd mile marker and things were feeling good. Until all I could breathe was smoke!! Someone in the area had a bonfire going at 9:30am and with a headwind it was in every runners face for about 2 minutes.  It was way to hard to breathe the smoke and run so I decided I would take the time and walk through it. 

By now a few of the people I know are catching up to me and we are nearing the finish. I decided to try and run with them and realized this was a HUGE mistake.  They both do half-marathon and run a 7.5mph pace, I am nowhere near that! It brought my heart rate up to 204 (yes I was still walking, breathing and fine).  I slowed down with another runner I had met earlier and we decided we would finish together. We saw the finish and I knew I had 20 seconds to come in under 35 minutes. I barely made it (34:58), but I did! 

It was a good run for a hot day and I felt like I accomplished something for myself. When you are at home with the kids you don't often feel that way. Maybe that is why I have taken such an interest in running. 

I have 4 more runs ready to go for the year and I need to find one more to add. I am so addicted!

No comments:

Post a Comment